Below is a selection of free tools and services offered by
Grand Integrated Software
- the ArsDigita Community System, described in
Chapter 3 of
Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing. This
contains modules for user registration, grouping of users by company or
interest, discussion, classified ads, news, calendar announcements,
banner ad serving, ecommerce, and more. If you're impatient, you can
start with this
document explaining how to build various kinds of Web services using the
toolkit. The ArsDigita Community System is available in two flavors,
one which uses Tcl for its presentation layer, and a 100% Java version
which can be run in any J2EE compatible servlet environment. Both
versions can be downloaded from the ACS Repository.
Simpler standalone software
- a catalog shopping system that bills credit cards in real-time via
the Cybercash system: ArsDigita Shoppe.
- to collect survey/quiz data from users (see the ArsDigita Quizze
page to download the software.)
- a system to produce daily, weekly, and monthly server log reports
from multiple Web services on the same computer: ArsDigita Reporte
For Nerds Only
If you don't have the time, talent or inclination to configure and
support your own installation of the ACS, you can still enjoy a few of
the benefits by using some of our free services:
- WimpyPoint: build and use a slide presentation in WimpyPoint from any Web browser anywhere in the world; replaces desktop bloatware such as Microsoft PowerPoint. If the freight plane carrying your laptop crashes into the UPS truck delivering your PowerPoint slides, you will still be able to give your presentation anywhere in the world that you can find a connected Web browser.
- Spam: let users add themselves to a private mailing list to which only the administrator (you) can send email.
- BooHoo: let users to contribute related links to your pages; administrator (you) can determine which pages can have links added, can delete irrelevant and/or offensively commercial links, and can even blacklist links with specific text, e.g. "*shamelessmaterialism.com*". The BooHoo system also works its way through the links every night or two, weeding out unreachable links (in a recoverable fashion).
- Loquacious: collect user-contributed comments on any of your pages.
- Lusenet: run a public or private discussion forum for your web site (either in Question-and-Answer or threaded discussion format). Users can sign up for email alerts to be notified of contributions to the discussion.
- Clickthrough.net: find out exactly how many people follow links from your site to sites that you recommend, without once having to analyze your webserver's "referer header log." The service redirects the user to the requested URL, and then generates a nice report for you.
Our software is generally copyright by ArsDigita or the
author. It is licensed to the public under the
GNU General Public License, available from